Monday, January 19, 2009

Paul Blart: Mall Cop

Paul Blart: Mall Cop - ReviewRelease Date: January 16th, 2009

Click here for the Paul Blart: Mall Cop Trailer.

The first comedy I've seen for the new year and..........I was a little dissapointed. Kevin James plays Paul Blart; a single father from New Jersey who still lives at home with his mom, works as a security guard at the local mall, and wants nothing more than to become a New Jersey State Police Officer. But Blart has one problem, he falls asleep whenever he doesn't get enough sugar in his system.

A 10 year veteran at the mall Blart hasn't had to deal with anymore than a punk kid or a shoplifter. Then one fatefull day some people break in and try to rob the credit card machienes. When Blart is the last one left and he finds out that the bad guys have his dream girl hostage, he goes from lonely security guard to super mall cop and tries to save the day armed only with what wits he has, the best knowledge of the mall, and his trusty segway.

I think Kevin James is a good actor and a funny comedian but, like so many comedies these days, Mall Cop doesn't quite rach the mark. Now when I first saw the previews for this movie I thought "Hey that looks pretty funny." And even though I thought it was a funny movie I still wanted more. This is surprising due to the fact that the movie was produced by Happy Madison, the movie company created by Adam Sandler and the same company that does all of Sandler's movies.

Kevin James was the only main stream name in the movie, except for one or two of what I like to call "The Sandler Gang", these are the guys you can always spot in all of Sandlers movies. But other than that, no one else was really that well known. However all the characters that were in the film were good actors that made their roles believable. I personally did not like the character of Paul Blart's daughter. She was a portly, latino 12 year old whose main purpose in the movie was to add that sweet, tender life time movie aspect that, for me, deters away from the whole comedy aspect because it is trying for a serious sentimental moment. The fact that all the robbers were like professional skate boarders, bmx riders, and free runners was actually pretty cool as they chased Blart through the mall doing all kinds of stunts. The ending threw me a twist, which doesn't happen often for me. I can honestly say that I was surprised.

All in all this movie didn't suck (although my girlfriend thought otherwise). I thought it was a reasonably funny movie but not one that had me rolling or wiping the tears from my eyes. It could of had a little bit more to it. I give Paul Blart: Mall Cop 7 over weight security guards out of 10

2 comments:

  1. I went to see Mall Cop this weekend and thought it was funny. It was like they gave Kevin James, a really physical comedian, a mall and said "go for it".

    ReplyDelete